Sunday, June 12, 2011

Unit 4 reflection

Loving-Kindness
I found that this practice was both beneficial and a bit difficult. The concept of transferring the feeling of love was a bit difficult for me but I can see that with more practice, this concept will come much easier.  After the 15 minutes of visualizing the give and take of love and dissolving suffering of others, I did feel an inner peace that really does quiet the mind. I would recommend this practice to others for the simple reason that we live in a world with so much hate and not enough love. I truly believe that in order for us to receive love from others we have to learn to first be able to accept love from ourselves, this practice helps to do just that.
Mental Workout
Mental workout is a concept much like physical workout. A person must train their mind consistently to see and maintain benefits just as someone strength training with weights would have to do. With mental workout, the daily practice will help the mind to focus with a much higher level of clarity and capacity of the importance of live and lead you to a path of health, happiness, and ultimately human flourishing.

2 comments:

  1. I found it a bit difficult at first as well, but I can agree that with practice it will get easier. I felt calm and peaceful afterward too. It was a good feeling. I could see doing this practice at night before bed and in the morning after rising, with benefits lasting a good bit of if not all day. I found the loving myself part easier than the breathing in suffering/breathing out love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to do the exercise again when my life is a little quieter. I agree that we need a whole lot more love in this world. Most people have a hard time really and truly loving themselves they way they are. There is always something we want to change on the outside, but the important thing is loving who we are on the inside.

    ReplyDelete