Saturday, June 25, 2011

Universal Loving Kindness Exercise and Integral Assessment

The universal Loving Kindness exercise experience for me was a very relaxing like most meditation exercises are. This practice for me is a good way to release anger and frustration especially provoked by interpersonal relationships. The assessment that was discussed really gives insight into what aspects of your life could use attention. The purpose of assessment is just that, to see what aspects of your life need work and make goals to improve in those areas. The goal is never to be complete and fulfilled in all aspects of our life but to be sure that your life is balances and not one-sided or unbalanced.   

3 comments:

  1. Ok, good generalization. So what areas do you need work in? The Interpersonal? You mentioned anger and frustration provoked by interpersonal relationships. Does that mean you need to practice on Interpersonal aspects? That was the area I had the most work to do, because I had trouble sending these "loving kindness" thoughts to people I have experienced friction with. And which exercises do you think will help you resolve or improve these areas? If we plan on really applying what the course is trying to teach, we should consider which Practices would be of assistance. I would recommend the Loving Kindness Practice and the Calm-Abiding Practice, but it's really your choice. I just felt like you sort of side-stepped answering those questions somewhat. This course pushes you to honestly self-evaluate, which isn't always easy. I also tend to be a bit outspoken at times, so you'll have to forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is interesting how these exercises work. we do the listening and meditative protions and then reflect on our experiences. I wish there was a questionairre that described a scenario or a building block for discussion similar to the exercise explanation but not for an assignment maybe jsut for mental clarity. For me the process of directed meditation is completely different and new to me. So what I am feeling and experiencing is completely foreign from what I usually experience. There should be a standard deviation for teh assessments. I understand that all experiences are different but at least some of them might be similar in scope.

    ReplyDelete