Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Unit 7 reflection

1.        Complete the "Meeting Asciepius" exercise on track #4 of the Dacher CD. Describe your meditative practice(s) for the week and discuss the experience. Explain how mindfulness or meditation has fostered an increase in your psychological or spiritual wellness. How can you continue to apply these practices in your life to foster greater health and wellness?

This week was very difficult for me, I will have to try this exercise again maybe after this weekend is over so that I can really clear my mind and focus. This weeks practice seems like it could become a useful tool in building on inner peace and loving-kindness with some practice. This week has been so stressful for me that you would think that these practices would help but I just cannot seem to find an hour in my day to just stop, clear my mind, and just focus on myself. This week has just been crazy, I will repost on my experience with “Meeting Asclepius” some time when I can actually focus on the exercise rather than just listen to it.

2.        Describe the saying: "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself” (P.477) How does this apply to the health and wellness professional? Do you have an obligation to your clients to be developing your health psychologically, physically, and spiritually? Why or why not? How can you implement psychological and spiritual growth in your personal life?



Dacher says that one cannot lead another where one has not gone himself, the meaning of this with a health and wellness professional is that the professional themselves must practice what they preach. Dacher even says that having a map of a place is nothing like having been there. Just an example is at my gym I see it all the time, personal trainers that live the practices and other trainers that only know the theory but is obvious that they never used the knowledge or gave up somewhere. A fit personal trainer is much more creditable than an overweight one trying to tell you how to lose and maintain a healthy body weight. With an integrated approach it’s even more important to develop your own health for your clients because you have to become someone that your clients can look up to, to become more like, and visibly see the possibility of improving their lives as you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment